Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Okay. Now what?

One of my earliest memories is escaping from my bedroom at nap time (I think I had to get out of a crib, but I could be making that up), going into the next room, and defiantly announcing to Mom that I was "too old to take naps!"

Mom barely looked up as she said, "Okay."

That threw me off balance. I'd been expecting to have to fight about it. I thought I'd probably get put back into my room and I'd have to escape again. I assumed I'd spend the whole hour campaigning for a free nap time, and here I was suddenly given what I wanted with comparatively no effort at all.

I went out of the room and thought to myself, "Okay. Now what?"

Today I went to my last college class. I'm going to graduate in a week and a half, and I feel just like I did when I was suddenly given my hour of nap time to use how I wanted. People ask me if I'm excited, and I suppose I am, but somehow I feel more disconcerted, like the fight to get what I wanted was over before I expected, before I had time to dream what I was going to do when I was free.

No worries, though, everyone. I'm sure I'll figure out how to keep myself occupied. There's always something else to fight for.

3 comments:

  1. Graduating from college kind of felt like being pushed off a cliff for me. Good luck with deciding what will come next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that would also be a good metaphor. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete