Monday, September 20, 2010

A Day at the Office

Yesterday my translator Lakshmi took me out to get some interviews at a place I think was an office. Several kind of crazy things happened during this trip, but I'll just tell you about the ladies I met. I interviewed two of them, but they kept spicing up our interview by asking me their own questions. I didn't mind, and it was kind of interesting to hear what questions they asked. What does my father do? How many siblings do I have? Are they married? Did they have love marriages? None of them were arranged? What do my brothers do? Does the whole family work? What kind of relationships do I have with my family members? Am I married? Would I marry a Telugu boy? Were my earrings platinum or steel? Did I buy my outfit here in Vizag? Do I cook at home? What sorts of things do I cook? Could I show them how to make one of the sweets I make? Am I Christian or Hindu? Do I like henna?

Actually, I bought henna about a month ago but hadn't worn it yet. I had put it in my purse that morning in case I finished with my interview early and Karuna was at the program house when I got back so she could put it on for me. I pulled it out to show them, and one of them, Madhuri, decorated my hands. She said she would do it for my wedding, too.


Lakshmi was in a different room for most of that time talking to a friend, so the ladies discussed me in Telugu with each other and all the people who wandered through. They kept saying the English word "homely," which I assume they were saying I was. (That's a good thing in Indian English; it means innocent and home-like, not ugly.) I felt kind of like I was a little stray puppy that got adopted. Lakshmi told me as we were leaving that they were saying that they liked me so much.

They also wanted to know if I ever wore a saree, and Lakshmi told them I did and promised to bring me back on Saturday wearing one. They were very happy about that. They wanted to see me "as an Indian."

3 comments: