Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our New House

We moved. Our old apartment was on the third floor of a building, up a narrow staircase. I mentioned that Bacchi, Sudha's husband, is the warden of GITAM, didn't I? That is a residential job, and I guess it has a year-long term. The apartment where we had been living is their house, which they're just not in right now because of that job. For some reason Dr. Nuckolls didn't like students to stay there, so when he saw the prettiest house on the street for rent a few weeks ago, he immediately called, rented it, and decided to move all of us who had been living in Sudha and Bacchi's place into the green house.


Apparently it is owned by one of the supreme court justices of India. It's pretty nice. This is the ground between the porch and the door.


I like the front door.


We call this the Aslan knocker.


This is our bay window in the living room. And Becky.


This is the living room looking down from the indoor balcony. That sheet is functioning as a curtain for the bay window.


This is the staircase up to the balcony and the rooms upstairs. The staircase is probably my favorite thing in the house. I just like it.


This is the chandelier.


This is the gigantic kitchen that we don't use at all. There's also a dining room we don't use.


This is my room.


This is another view of my room. Yup, I have a window that looks down onto the living room. My doorway doesn't have a door, either.


But I actually have two rooms, kind of. I'm in the one I'm in because I like the fan better. It's kind of an antechamber to the other room, which has my bathroom in it.


We each have our own bathrooms. Except, the water doesn't often seem to work in Becky's and mine, so we use the bathroom in the spare bedroom more often than not, especially for showering. If Megan decides to move in there she might just have to deal with that.

I was kind of ambivalent about moving here, because I don't like the hassle of moving and because we had to leave the TV in the other apartment. I was rather annoyed, too, when the second night we were there I was laying sleepless on my bed and something fluttered across my hand. Or rather, crawled. I got up and turned on the light to see a two-inch cockroach right next to my bed. Yuck! I'm a wimp, so I don't kill cockroaches; I jump on furniture and scream until someone else kills them for me. Usually Becky. Unfortunately, it was the middle of the night, so my choices were stand and keep an eye on it all night (painful), kill it myself (no way!), or wake up Becky. She wasn't super excited about being roused at 3:30 AM to kill a huge cockroach, but she did it. She's pretty awesome like that. (This experience is the other reason why my bed is in the room it's in. This happened in the inside room.) Whatever, though. We hadn't really had cockroaches in the other apartment, but a day or two after that I saw one there, too, so I guess it wouldn't be much better in that regard. And now that I've had time to settle in, I like this house. It's comfortable, and it feels more like home somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment