Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Story

The past few days at work I’ve been editing a book that occasionally makes me laugh, and groan, with some of the peculiar quirks in the writing. Since I can’t really publish the actual portions that struck me as unusual, I’ve decided to write you a story illustrating some of the oddities I came across. I feel like I should also mention that I did actually enjoy major portions of this book, and that the writing is much better in some parts of the book than in others. Here it goes:
Choice of Food, Attending Church Meetings, Obeying the Law. When I came home from class today I was as the saying goes, hungry enough to consume or devour a horse. I thought of my possibilities – cereal, mozzarella cheese, chocolate chips, finding a movie to watch, or perhaps to go to Institute. Too, I could call my mother. I am like the Persians. When a person finds themselves in this condition, you should always pick the first option; so I did. You may some-day find yourself in this situation, so you should role play with your roommate or spouse and children what to do in avoiding choosing unhealthy options, how to use time wisely, going to your church meetings, and in turning down immoral propositions. Your husband will appreciate that you took the initiative! Who hasn’t appreciated it when someone has helped them make wise choices of eating, movies, going to or attending church functions, etc. Every family needs to discuss these sorts of issues and doing activities like this that re-inforce and highlight good decisions. After I ate my cereal I went to Institute and it was lovely.
The End.

2 comments:

  1. I would guess English is a second language for this writer although I have doubts about whether they have a first language or not. I guess we should be glad for editors so we don't have to run across that sort of mess more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is rather dreadful, isn't it? I'm kind of sorry I wrote it; it makes me feel itchy every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete