Monday, August 23, 2010

Another University Function

Monday (the 16th) we headed to Kakinada for a university function there. The vice chancellor of this university was very nice. I didn't feel the need to steal any biscuits from him. When we arrived we had our picture taken with him and sat and spoke with him for a while. They gave us each a rose, and I was satisfied in the desire I'd had to get a bouquet sometime. This is Becky posing with hers later that night.


Then we went down to the function and sat in the plushy chairs in the front. The speeches were boring but not very long. We were invited because the function was about internationalizing the school, and I guess we kind of represented that. Anyway, we were invited to come up and be introduced by Krishnayya and say a few words. When Krishnayya said that I was there to study Telugu movies and that I loved them, I got tremendous cheers and applause. He said that my favorite hero is Prabhas, and there was more cheering. (As you may remember, this is a terrible falsehood. I love Prabhas, but Mahesh Babu still holds first place. But whatever.) He said that I was "also a big fan of Superstar Krishna's son--what's his name?--Mahesh Babu!" and that got the most cheers yet. Which showed good taste. I was a little nervous to speak to all these cheering people, but I said hi. Libby whispered to me to say some of my favorite movies, so I mentioned Athadu and got lots more applause. It was all a little dizzying.

After all the speech giving was over they presented us each with a huge bouquet.


And a gift bag with a present in it. Those who have opened theirs tell me it's a mug.


And a framed copy of the picture they took when we met the vice chancellor earlier that day.


It was pretty crazy. Did I mention that they passed out water bottles and food to everyone during the speeches? Yup. And not just crackers. It was real food. I should have taken a picture.

After all of this was over it was the students turn to do performances. That was entertaining and fun. As we left all the girls, who were sitting on the other side of the red carpet from the boys, kept calling out my name, waving, and saying bye. "Rosie! Rosie!" "Bye! Bye!" You definitely become popular here when you love Telugu films and Telugu heroes.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. So, how are the arrangements going for getting us into a film when we come there? :)

    ReplyDelete