Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rakhi Day

Today is Rakhi Day, the day that celebrates the bond between brother and sister. Sisters tie rakhis, which are kind of bracelet-type things, onto the wrists of their brothers. If they're not in the same city they send these in the mail. These symbolize the love sisters have for their brothers. In return, brothers sometimes give their sisters gifts, which symbolizes, as far as I can make out, that they're in their sisters' corners. I don't think that nearly as many gifts are given as rakhis. The holiday is not always on August 24th, but it is always in August. A priest determines the actual day, according to Lakshmi. The holiday is a North Indian custom, but it is becoming popular in the South, especially among the younger generation. They look like this:


They sell rakhis everywhere, so I picked up three of them at a shop near our house. (They're not as fancy as the ones in this picture.) I would have gotten four, but Sudha says it is a holiday only for brothers, not brothers-in-law. Sorry, Travis. No rakhi for you next August.

2 comments:

  1. Did Sudha say anything about tying rakhis on a guy to let him know that you think of him as a brother (instead of a potential romantic interest)? That seems to happen a lot in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She didn't say anything about that. I don't think that part of it has caught on this far south yet. That's my hypothesis anyway. I do know what you're talking about, though, I've seen that, too.

    ReplyDelete