Saturday, August 7, 2010

Functions and Fame

Thursday Dr. Nuckolls gave a lecture at Andra University on Globalization and Marginalization, which was much longer and more interesting than I'd anticipated. Much of the proceedings were much like lectures I'd attended at BYU. Someone introduced the speaker, mentioning all their accolades, the speaker spoke, people asked some questions that the speaker addressed, and everyone clapped.

There were a few differences, though. For one, they brought us snacks in the middle of it, which I thought was pretty cool.



They gave Dr. Nuckolls a bouquet, a trophy, and a scarf thing, I'm not quite sure what they're called. They also took tons and tons of pictures of the speaker and the audience throughout the entire speech and again afterward. These pictures appeared in four newspapers, including one that mentioned that I was a Mahesh Babu fan, which I assume Dr. Nuckolls must have mentioned to someone there, because I didn't.

Speaking of having my picture taken, I think I'm sure I've already had hundreds taken in the little over a week I've been here. People take them on the sly, people take them without any attempt to be sly, people come up and ask us to pose with them, and people take our pictures at events like this one. We tourists are almost a tourist attraction ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment